Sunday, November 27th, 9:00 AM
Tour of Seth Low Pierrepont State Park
50 Barlow Mountain Road (Seth Low Pierrepont State Park)
Ridgefield, CT 06877
You ate too much turkey, didn't you? Come walk it off on a great in-town hike only 7 minutes from the Fountain. This hike is, literally, in my backyard. The Seth Low Pierrepont State Park is a 313 acre preserve adjoining Pierrepont Pond (Lake Naraneka) in the north part of Ridgefield. You'll be amazed at how quickly we pass from suburban neighborhood to remote woodland terrain. There's even a minor viewpoint on this trail, which should afford a nice vista of the lake if the leaves are off the trees by then. We're going to do a "grand tour" of the reserve, hitting virtually every trail, about 2-2.5 hours and 5 miles in total. There are some steep sections and we'll keep a brisk pace, so you won't have any more guilt about overindulging on Thanksgiving!
Here are some guidelines for the hike:
- We will set out at 9am sharp, please be on time!
- The hike will go on rain or shine; if in doubt please pack your rain gear.
- There are rocky and wet sections on this hike so please bring appropriate footwear: sturdy hiking boots, no sneakers or sandals.
- Please ensure you bring enough water, bug spray and trail snacks for yourself.
- Friendly dogs are allowed as long as they stay on leash.
- This hike is too difficult for young kids. Older kids are welcome as long as you’re sure they can make it (or you can carry them).
- There is no fee for this activity.
- Feel free to bring a kayak or canoe if you have one and fancy doing a little boating after the hike; I'll have my canoe with me.
- Please RSVP for the hike by registering for the event on the new http://ridgefieldnewcomers.org website.